Recipe: Pawpaw Bread
With some of our pawpaws from the Dismal Swamp State Park, we made Pawpaw Bread. It’s like banana bread, just with pawpaws instead of banana. I thought it was delicious. Although I couldn’t tell the difference between it and normal banana bread, my mother said she could.
The recipe I used below is similar to the one in Better Homes and Garden’s New Cook Book (I add vanilla, put in more cinnamon and of, course, use pawpaws instead of bananas).
- 4-5 pawpaws
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon shredded lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- After removing the numerous seeds, mash the pulp of the pawpaws with a fork.
- In a mixing bowl combine the pawpaws, the egg, the sugar and the olive oil.
- Mix in the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, lemon peel, vanilla and finally the flour.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour in a loaf pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.