Hikers Needed: AT in a Day
I received an email from the Roanoke Appalachian Trail Club about an interesting event that will occur on Saturday. The Dartmouth College Outing Club is trying to hike the entire Appalachian Trail in a single day.
AT in a Day – needs Roanoke’s help
On October 10th the first-ever single-day hike of the Appalachian Trail will be attempted and they need Roanoke’s help. The trail will be divided into segments, which will be hiked by various volunteers. Each hiker will have a printable logo to take a picture with on the hike. The pictures will be collected along with trip reports to make a document memorializing the hike. This event is being organized by the Dartmouth College Outing Club.
Here is a list of sections that are in need of hikers. These sections are mostly in Craig and Giles Counties:
- Troutville (U.S. 11) to McAfee Knob
- Rt. 624 to Rt. 621 (Craig Creek Valley)
- Rt. 621 to Rt. 630/42 (Sinking Creek)
- Rt. 42 (Sinking Creek) to Salt Sulphur Turnpike (Va. 613)
- Salt Sulphur Turnpike (Rt. 613) to Rt. 635 Stony Creek Valley
- Rt. 635 Stony Creek Valley to US 460 (Big Horse Gap)
- US 460 (Big Horse Gap) to Rt. 606
- Rt. 606 – Rt. 611
- Rt. 611 – Laurel Creek Rt.615
- Rt. 615 (Walker Gap) Rt. 610
- Rt.610 – Rt. 617
- Rt. 617- Rt. 622
- Rt. 622 – Rt. 672
- Rt. 672 – Rt.. 603 Fox Creek
Can you help? Visit the AT in a Day website, register, and use their Google Map interface to register for your hike.
Even if you aren’t in the Roanoke area, if you are interested in hiking the Appalachian Trail this weekend, you may want to take a peak at the AT in a Day website. I believe they are also looking for hikers in Tennessee and Georgia as well.