Random Things About Me
I keep getting tagged on Facebook for that “Random Things About Me List” so I succumbed last night and made a list. Now I can kill two birds with one stone and make a quick blog post as well.
27 Random Things About Vicky
1) I’m missing a tooth (the one between your front tooth and your canine tooth). It’s genetic. Some of my extended family are missing the same tooth.
2) My hair is SIGNIFICANTLY gray now. When it grows out, a vast majority of the roots are white. That’s also genetic- from my paternal grandmother’s side.
3) I snore. I’m not sure if that is genetic or not, but I have observed that my father also snores.
4) In high school my father used to drive me to school so I was in charge of waking him up. That was at times difficult to do. One day I put slices of bologna all over his limbs and let the family dog in the room. That seemed to be pretty effective.
5) There is little in this world that I find more thrilling than receiving letters and mail. I keep and file away all the letters and postcards I receive. When I die, I want those items returned to the original authors so they will be reunited with their own words.
6) I tend not to like the feeling of fingernail polish on my fingers, but I almost always have polish on my toenails.
7) My great uncle, a man who flew in WWII and was an successful engineer, says the accomplishment he is most proud of is a bunch of pine trees he planted in the 50’s. “I made my own forest,” he said. I hope to one day follow in his footsteps.
8] If I ever got a tattoo, I think it would be of rhododendron, mountain laurel or something indigenous to the Appalachian Trail. That way no matter where I go, I have a piece of the mountains with me.
9) I don’t even have my ears pierced (So don’t hold your breath on #8 )
10) The day after Thanksgiving I met my new boyfriend’s family at SpaWorld in Centreville. It turned out it was a nude spa. So, I have now been naked in front of my new boyfriend’s sister, my new boyfriend’s sister-in-law and….my new boyfriend’s mother.
11) I’ve been a groomsman in a wedding! I got to escort a bridesmaid down the aisle and everything.
12) For high school graduation, my grandmother gave me a pair of rollerblades. 16 years later I still have them. They have gone with my on many trips and I have rollerbladed in 21 different U.S. States and 5 different countries.
13) When I was a young girl, I played a lot of tournament bridge with my father. I made Life Master when I was fifteen. I’m currently retired.
14) I love coming up with Plastic Canvas designs. It’s a neat challenge to figure out how to architect the item you want.
15) I know how to install a toilet! I installed one all by myself this past summer. As long as you are turning things the right way, it’s not that hard.
16) I would really like to learn more about mushrooms and fungi so I can go out and eat some.
17) I think I secretly like taking support calls. I like uncovering the cause of an issue and being creative with a workaround… and being the hero. 🙂
18] When I die, I want my ashes dumped off the Wilburn Valley Overlook on Pearis Mountain. I plan on spreading Jimmie’s ashes there as well.
19) I’m tough on keyboards. Currently my laptop is missing the V key and the right arrow key.
20) “Float On” by Modest Mouse was a prominent positive force this past year. You have no idea how many times I would start off an evening of programming or painting, dancing around in a vacant house to that song. It’s impossible NOT to be in a good mood with that song.
21) I’m on Page 78 of the “Remarkable Trees of Virginia” book. I’m the hiker in front of the large oak tree.
22) I would really like to meet Nalini Nadkarni of Evergreen State College. I’m going through a tree obsession phase at the moment and I keep coming across her writings and her work. She captivates me.
23) I have never been hit on by a member of the same sex (So even if I do get to meet Nalini, odds are she won’t hit on me).
24) I’ve never had stitches and I’ve never broken a bone. I almost constantly have scratches, cuts and scabs on my legs though.
25) The “Y” in my name is a product of jealousy. When I was young girl known as “Vicki” my family had placemats at the dinner table with everyone’s name on it. Noting “Jay” and “Carolyn” both had Y’s in the their, I became envious. So I procured myself a Y.
26) I have not really vomitted since 1988. Nonetheless, I spent a significant portion of my teens and twenties, worrying about vomit. Talk about a waste of time.
27) I think Sinking Creek Mountain on the Appalachian Trail is underrated. Dayhikers don’t tend to go there. But they should. It’s beautiful.
Entry filed under: Misc. Tags: .